Tuesday, September 23, 2008

The Mediterranean Diet Fades in Mediterranea


Fascinating article in the NY Times. Even Mediterraneans are having a tough time following the Mediterranean diet these days.

A Greek man laments the influx of junk food and cheese:

"If we continue like this, we’re going to become like Americans, and no one wants that.”

Fast-food culture and cattle ranchers don't like the Mediterranean diet — it calls for red meat just once a month. If we all ate like that, McDonalds/Burger King/Wendys would all be out of business in a year.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Here's a tidbit of trivia for you: I once had the Mediterranean Salad at Ziziki's near work, and I had no idea what was in it when I ordered it. I was dismayed when it came and it was just olives, onions, tomatoes, etc. not even any leaf lettuce. However, I tried it and I have to say, it was really good. I was afraid it wasnt going to stick with me all day, but it did. A pleasant surprise. A stylish thriller.